Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Juwanna Men Do it Again

Last night, I had nothing better to do so I decided to go Madison Square Garden to watch the Liberty vs. Stars. I could care less who won or lost, it was just giving me something to do.

We all know that women basketball is not as respected as it should be. No dunks, no fans. That's basically what it comes down to. But last night I had a great time, parcially because of the group of Puerto Rican high school kids sitting in front of me.
See, most people who go to the liberty games are not fans, they are just like me. But then we have the season ticket holders who are die hard fan of these Juwanna Men. Since no one really shows up to the games, I decided to just find my way right down to the front. So close to the game that I could see every time they picked their wedgies.

*SIDE NOTE* I couldn't help but wonder if those girls wear thongs or granny panties under those shorts *END NOTE*

So back to the kids in front of me. They were sitting on the floor, so into the game. All I heard all night was "LIBERTAD, Que Que!. Ok so you don't understand. Let me set it up for you. These kids hardly spoke English. Either that or they just chose to speak Spanish. So every time a beat dropped ( you know they play intro's to the songs at games) they would start dancing and chanting.
So 50 cents beat dropped, Candy Shop, and they all jump up and sing LIBERTAD, QUE QUE! LIBERTAD, Que Que. Next thing you know, by the second half our whole section was doing the chant. It spread like a wild fire. It went from " Damn I wish those stupid kids would sit down", "isn't it past their bed time", to LIBERTAD, Que Que. They even had me saying it. When the Ying Yang twins beat dropped for Wait everyone went crazy. Not because Juwanna was dunking but because the beat was hot.

So the liberty went on to win, yes... The Juwanna Men did it again. The stars gave them no real competition.
LIBERTAD.... QUE QUE!

2 comments:

Dee said...

how much were the tix?

MBT4679 said...

The one thing I love about the WNBA is that so many young girls get to go to games and see women out there, doing what they have always wanted to do and following their dreams. Im a tall woman, overgrown possibly, but I was never into playing ball though many people suggested that i should. Women's basketball is exciting for those who love it, people like my mother, my grandmother, two of the ladies I work with, and the countless young girls who look up to those ladies. I wish the WNBA got more money for its players, and had more accomodations for the mothers playing (all 13 of them), but the reason women don't get the same opportunities that men do in this country is not only because some men don't support, most women dont support women either.

Viva La Libertad de Nueva York!!! *smile*